Thursday, December 1, 2011
All We Ask Is That You Join Our...Cult!
But I Didn't Know
Ask these simple questions to gain a better understanding of your "dream company:"
- Do they believe they do "it" better than everyone else in the industry?
- Do they support any semblence of work/life balance?
- Do they automatically assume their processes are "best practices" and should be adopted universally?
- Do they expect you to devote inordinate amounts of your personal time to the company?
- Do they expect employees to speak, behave, and perform in a very specific and uniform way regardless of background or skill set or ethnicity? (formerly known as "scripting")
This my friends is a classic example of the Corporate Cult. It's not that their intentions are bad, or that bad people are leading that organization. My problem is that with such a closed-minded view of how things should be, huge opportunities are lost. Opportunities to learn, challenge, debate, learn some more, and hear different perspectives on issues that could move the company forward are completely missed.
How About You
Are you contemplating making a move to a new position? Check it out first. Ask questions. Are your new team members transparent (hello social media) so you have a good feel for what they're like IRL? Or maybe you've been seduced by the Cult...er...company you're working for today. Maybe it's time to take a closer look at yourself? I know I'm going to.
I'd love to hear from you.
pics courtesy of allthoughtout and buildings