Monday, September 26, 2011

Thank God for HR

"I could never do your job."  "How do you deal with this day after day?"  "I don't know how you do it, this is just too stressful for me."

We do it because we have no fear of confrontation.  None.

No Respect, Until LOTS of Respect
Sure, we're not in the spotlight of our organizations.  We're not supposed to be.  We don't chase the glory because we demonstrate the ultimate commitment to the companies we work for -> we put all of our efforts into supporting the execution of corporate strategy and supporting and growing our workforce. In so doing, the accolades go to others on the Operations side of the house.  And that's okay with us.

But when things go out the Cavalry.  Get HR on the phone now.  Set up a meeting today.  Drop everything.  Suddenly the HR-respect-o-meter hits 100%.  And that's okay with us too.

We Love the 2%
Fortunately for us the overwhelming majority of our organizations are filled with high-performing and dedicated professionals who come to work each day wanting to make a difference.  But just like the proverbial rotten apple, a small percentage of employees can create havoc for those around them.  And that is why I love being in HR...because I can do something about the 2% so the other 98% doesn't have to deal with their sophomoric behavior.  I'm guessing you love the 2% too.

How About You
Confrontation is in our DNA, or at least it's supposed to be.  Soft HR means no HR, so don't let your customers down.  Be strong in the face of frivolous retaliatory action.  Who goes to battle when an employee situation blows up?  We do.  We wouldn't have it any other way.

I'd love to hear from you.

No Excuses.

pic courtesy of epicparent


  1. Just had a conversation with someone about the same thing. We are called upon to handle the things no one else wants to touch. Our stock shoots up then. But we signed on for it. We aint complaining and there are NO EXCUSES.

  2. I'm right there with you Chris. No complaints from me either...and of course, no excuses!

  3. Blogs are good for every one where we get lots of information for any topics nice job keep it upand Pretty good post, this is one of the best articles that I have ever seen! This is a great site and I have to congratulate you on thecontent.
    Telephone System